Internal Auditor: The head of Audit Section is responsible for seeking the approval of senior management and the acceptance by Council of a formal written document (Charter) for the internal auditing department. The auditor is not responsible for preventing fraud, other irregularities or errors. Management procedures should be designed to give the auditor a reasonable expectation of detecting any material misstatements, whether intentional or unintentional, in an entity’s financial statements.
The auditor should normally report to senior management of an entity all fraud; other irregularities or material errors brought to light by the audit. The auditor may also make recommendations of good practice in order to assist in the prevention of further occurrences.
The responsibility within an entity for the prevention of fraud, other irregularities and errors rests with management. As part of its business responsibilities, management has the fiduciary role of safeguarding assets, by virtue of their management positions they are regarded in law as acting in a stewardship capacity concerning the property under their control.
Management objective may be accomplished by incorporating some of the following control measures: -
* Installation of an effective accounting system
* Operation of an appropriate system of internal control (including authorization controls and controls covering segregation of duties)
* Ensuring that employees under their control understand relevant codes of conduct
* Monitoring relevant legal requirements and ensuring that operating procedures and conditions meet these requirements
Independence: Internal auditors should be independent of the activities they audit, and could only be perceived as independent when they carry out their work freely and objectively. Independence permits them to render the impartial and unbiased judgments essential to the proper conduct of audits.
Integrity: Internal auditors should review the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify, measure, classify, and report such information
Compliance: Internal Auditors should review the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans, procedures, laws, regulations, and contracts which could have a significant impact on operations and reports, and should determine whether the organization is in compliance.
Safeguarding of assets: The Internal Auditors should review the means used to safeguard assets from various types of losses such as those resulting from theft, fire, improper or illegal activities, and exposure to elements
Due professional care: Internal auditors should exercise due professional care in performing internal audits. Due professional care calls for the application of the care and skill expected of a reasonably prudent and competent internal auditor in the same or similar circumstance
Vision and Mission Statements
Our Vision is an audit, review and consulting services unit, providing exceptional service by independent reviews of all University Group operations, activities, policies and procedures and where warranted, recommending cost effective control and solutions for improvements in systems, processes and operations.
Our Mission is to meet and exceed University Council, Executive Management and other Stakeholder assurance expectations within NUST governance framework and in accordance with the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
Departmental Staff click tabs to view
- Name: Mrs Sitshengiwe Nkomo
- Current Position: Internal Auditor
- Previous Employment: Gwanda Municipality – Treasurer, Urban Development Corporation -External Auditor
- Qualifications: BBS (Hons) UZ, Z’bwe; MSc Finance and Investment NUST
- Tel. ext: 2248
- Name: Miss Bulelwa Dlamini
- Current Position: Chief Secretary
- Previous Employment: Secretary - Ministry of Youth Dev, Gender & Employment Creation
- Qualifications: B.Com. Human Resource Management (HRM); MSc HRM - pending
- Tel. Ext: 2244
- Name: Miss Simangaliso Ndlovu
- Current Position: Chief Audit Assistant
- Previous Employment: Snr Accountant Asst (NUST); Finance & Admin Secretary (Red Cross);Assistant Banking Hall Controller (Beverley B/Society)
- Qualifications: MSc Finance & Investment (NUST); B.Com. Finance (NUST); HND Accounting (Bulawayo Poly)
- Tel. ext: 2505
- Name: Miss Cheneso. M. Msipa
- Current Position: Chief Audit Assistant
- Previous Employment: Accounting Assistant - Provincial Magistrate Mat North
- Qualifications: B.Com. Accounting; MSc Accounting and Finance - pending
- Tel. ext: 2246