Professor Samson Sibanda
Professor Samson Sibanda has over 20 years experience in academia and has been actively involved in the development of the University at various levels.
He is a member of several professional organizations and sits on a number of external Committees.
Qualifications: T1 Teaching Certificate (Univ. of Rhodesia), B.Sc (Hons) (CNAA), PhD (King’s College, London)
Current Employment : Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research, Consultancy and Academic Affairs),National University of Science and Technology
- Glaxo Group Research
- Postdoctoral Research, King’s College, (1982 – 1983)
- Lecturer, Organic Chemistry, UZ (1983 – 1997)
- TWAS Res Fellow Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome (1988)
- Istituto Italo Africano Res Fellow, Roma Univ, La Sapiens (1989 – 1990)
- NIH Res Fellow, University of Alabama in Huntsville (1997)
- Lecturer & Chairman of Dept of Chemistry ,University of Zimbabwe (1998 – 2000)
- Lecturer, Organic Chemistry, NUST ( 2001- 2005)
- UNMOVIC Weapons inspector, Iraq ( 2002 – 2003)
- Acting Pro-Vice-Chancellor, NUST (2005 – 2006)
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor, NUST (2006 – to-date)
- Acting Vice Chancellor (2015)
Membership to Other Boards:
Carnivore Res Institute (Chipangali Wildlife Trust), National Museums & Monuments of Zimbabwe, Associate Editor (Int. J. Biol & Chem Sci.), Member of NAMACO (Chemicals Section), Founding member of the Community Education Project (CEP), Research Council of Zimbabwe.
Membership/Fellowship to Professional Bodies:
American Chemical Society, NAPRECA, Zimbabwe Academy of Sciences, IFS Fellow, Istituto Italo-Africano.
- Natural Products with emphasis on traditional herbal remedies
- Synthesis of C6C3 phenylpropanoids that have shown biological activity in vitro.
- Coupling of starch derived from Dioscorea dumetorum with diazonium salts.
- S. Sibanda, C. Nyanyira, M. Nicoletti and C. Galeffi, (1990). Ochnabianthrone: A Trans-9,9 – bianthrone from Ochna Pulchra, Phytochemistry, 29, No. 12, pp. 3974-3976.
- S. Sibanda, P. P. Mebe and G. Multari, (1992) Pentacyclic Triterpenoids from Euclea Crispa, Fitoterapia Vol. LXIII No. 3 p. 274
- S. Sibanda, D. Nkala, P. Tomasik and M. Palanski, (1994). Isolation and Properties of Starch from Wild Yam from Zimbabwe, Starch/Starke, 46, pp.85-88.
click tabs to view
Telephone extension : 2004
- Current Position: Personal Assistant
- Previous Employment: Chief Secretary
- Qualifications: BComm Honours in Management,PGDM in Management, Diploma in Business Management,ND in Secretarial Studies