Professor Samson Sibanda
Professor Samson Sibanda is the Acting Vice Chancellor at NUST. He has over 20 years experience in academia and has been actively involved in the development of the University at various levels.
He is a member of several professional organizations and sits on a number of external Committees.
Qualifications: T1 Teaching Certificate (Univ. of Rhodesia), B.Sc (Hons) (CNAA), PhD (King’s College, London)
Current Employment : Pro-Vice Chancellor (Residential & Academic Affairs),National University of Science and Technology
- Glaxo Group Research
- Postdoctoral Research, King’s College, (1982 – 1983)
- Lecturer, Organic Chemistry, UZ (1983 – 1997)
- TWAS Res Fellow Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome (1988)
- Istituto Italo Africano Res Fellow, Roma Univ, La Sapiens (1989 – 1990)
- NIH Res Fellow, University of Alabama in Huntsville (1997)
- Lecturer & Chairman of Dept of Chemistry ,University of Zimbabwe (1998 – 2000)
- Lecturer, Organic Chemistry, NUST ( 2001- 2005)
- UNMOVIC Weapons inspector, Iraq ( 2002 – 2003)
- Acting Pro-Vice-Chancellor, NUST (2005 – 2006)
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor, NUST (2006 – to-date)
- Acting Vice Chancellor (2015)
Membership to Other Boards:
Carnivore Res Institute (Chipangali Wildlife Trust), National Museums & Monuments of Zimbabwe, Associate Editor (Int. J. Biol & Chem Sci.), Member of NAMACO (Chemicals Section), Founding member of the Community Education Project (CEP), Research Council of Zimbabwe.
Membership/Fellowship to Professional Bodies:
American Chemical Society, NAPRECA, Zimbabwe Academy of Sciences, IFS Fellow, Istituto Italo-Africano.
- Natural Products with emphasis on traditional herbal remedies
- Synthesis of C6C3 phenylpropanoids that have shown biological activity in vitro.
- Coupling of starch derived from Dioscorea dumetorum with diazonium salts.
- S. Sibanda, C. Nyanyira, M. Nicoletti and C. Galeffi, (1990). Ochnabianthrone: A Trans-9,9 – bianthrone from Ochna Pulchra, Phytochemistry, 29, No. 12, pp. 3974-3976.
- S. Sibanda, P. P. Mebe and G. Multari, (1992) Pentacyclic Triterpenoids from Euclea Crispa, Fitoterapia Vol. LXIII No. 3 p. 274
- S. Sibanda, D. Nkala, P. Tomasik and M. Palanski, (1994). Isolation and Properties of Starch from Wild Yam from Zimbabwe, Starch/Starke, 46, pp.85-88.
click tabs to view
Telephone extension : 2001
- Name: Portia Ngwenya
- Current Position: Personal Assistant / Administrative Assistant
- Previous Employment: , Personal Assistant (NMB Bank), Secretary (Zimbabwe School Of Mines)
- Qualifications: HND Office Management , BComm Business Management
- Tel. Ext: 2001