Welcome to the Department of Science Mathematics and Technology Education. This department is located in the latest created Faculty of Science and Technology at the National University of Science Technology (NUST). It is has grown into one of formidable department within is two years its inception. The Department was inaugurated in August 2014 with a staff complement of five lecturers, one teaching assistant and a student intake of 74. The department offers Bachelor of Science Honours Degree in Education in the following subjects: Accounts and Business Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics. Also Postgraduate Diploma in Science and Technology Education with duration of eighteen months is offered in this department. All our degrees include theory and work based assessment. Staff are actively involved in championing the quality of education within the university through professional development of lecturers within the university.
The Department aims to produce quality STEM teachers who are able to think in other terms and service their communities diligently and honestly while upholding the values of NUST. Produce graduates who are internationally recognised.
Programmes offered By The Department
Bachelor of Science Education Honours (BScEd Hons) in one of the following subject areas:
Accounting and business management, biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics and statistics, physics, environmental science.
- Special entry (In-service): Relevant teaching diplomas (and approved certificates) in the specified subjects; five O-Level passes including English Language and Mathematics.
- Normal entry (Pre-service): At least 2 A-Level passes in relevant subjects of specialisation, and five O-Level passes including English Language Mathematics and a science subject.
Programme of study
- Special entry candidates will pursue a three-year programme of study on block-release, consisting of a prescribed number of courses in specialist subjects and in education and professional studies, including work-based experience and a final year research or design project. The work-based experience will be integrated into the second year of study.
- Normal entry candidates will pursue a four-year full-time programme of study in which the third year will be spent wholly on Industrial Attachment/Work-based experience in an institution or organization relevant to their degree programme.
- Normal entry candidates will study additional elective courses in education and professional studies as prescribed by the department.
Postgraduate Diploma in Science and Technology Education (PGDSTE)
- Applicants must hold a minimum of a bachelors degree majoring in accounting, mathematics, science or technology subjects.
- Applicants must be employed as teachers in the secondary school at the time of applying and must have accrued at least one years teaching experience.
Programme of study
- Candidates will pursue an 18-month programme of study consisting of three semesters (or stages) on block-release.
- The programme consists of taught courses, work-based experience assessment and a research or design project.
Master of Science Education (MScEd)
- Applicants must have an approved Bachelor of Science Education Honours degree or its equivalent with subject specialisation in accounting, mathematics, science or technology.
- Alternatively applicants with a relevant bachelors degree plus the Postgraduate Diploma in Science and Technology Education or its approved equivalent will be considered.
Programme of study
- The two-year block release or part time programme is composed of prescribed core and elective courses as well as a research project culminating in a mini-dissertation of at least 10 000 words.
- All taught courses will be assessed through coursework and examination, unless specified otherwise in the appropriate course synopsis.